272 Still Smoking

A place for general Leyland tractor questions and chat
X344chap

Re: 272 Still Smoking

Post by X344chap » Sat Jun 30, 2018 2:04 pm

If that is all its smoking - then i'd just live with it and use it until everything is bedded down. 100hrs after rebuild is usually the time to recheck everything and retorque cylinder head bolts and reset valve clearances. Any problems will reveal themselves given time.

If you cant live with it then id suggest checking the compression on each cylinder, removing the exhaust manifold to see if you you can tell if its one cylinder its coming from or them all.

Gather as much data as you can and tick off the easy stuff before you start to tear down and look for the 'unusuals' like rings upside down etc.

An 'unusual' i've seen is where the tractor doesnt have a thermostat or the thermostat is jammed open or its got he wrong thermostat so its running 'cool'. This can cause smoking.

I didnt believe how hot the leyland block should be when its running at its rated temperature until i got an infrared thermometer gun and checked it.

btw - is the exhaust the right exhaust for the tractor? - it looks a bit short. Length,shape and bore of exhausts is important to an engines running as is a clean airfilter.

Hopperdredger
Denmark

Post by Hopperdredger » Sun Jul 15, 2018 4:52 am

Hey do you have a turbo on your engine mine was leaking oil to the exhaust side causing blue smoke

TractorDude
United States of America

Post by TractorDude » Tue Oct 16, 2018 11:30 am

Its still smoking so I think Im going to try to replace the valve seals. Is it necessary to remove the head to do this???

diggerdeano
Great Britain

Post by diggerdeano » Tue Oct 16, 2018 6:56 pm

hi you can change the valve stem seals with the head on just bring the piston of whichever cylinder your doing up to the top to stop the valves from dropping out . check for wear in the guides once the springs are off .from what i can see from your video id be checking the injectors it only needs a grain of grit to in them to cause problems and its easy done getting dirt in them .

JohnP
Great Britain

Post by JohnP » Wed Oct 17, 2018 7:54 am

Hi

When replacing the seal on the exhaust valve it must be fitted with the internal chamfer facing
down. Failure to do this will allow oil to run down the exhaust valve stem causing oil consumption
and possible oil running down the outside of the exhaust pipe.
JVP

If it ain't bust don't fix it!

mike.l
Canada

Post by mike.l » Thu Oct 18, 2018 1:14 pm

Hi I had the same problem with a small amount of blue smoke. which was very annoying on a fresh rebuild i thought the timing was off a little and was planning to pull the engine apart this winter. As a stop gap measure for the plowing season i purchased some oil with an additive to swell the seals put half the amount in that was required and within a day no smoke and it runs fine now. . Yes i thought of changing the seals and worried that i had put them in the wrong way around . but a bit more work and a oil additive was all that was needed mike

TractorDude
United States of America

Post by TractorDude » Sun Oct 21, 2018 6:43 pm

I am having some troubles getting the valve springs off. Even with the spring fully compressed I cannot remove the keepers. Does something need to be done with that inner spring? Any ideas, or do I need to pull the head?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Rick Cobley
Great Britain

Post by Rick Cobley » Thu Oct 25, 2018 1:31 am

Hi, Yes the inner spring need compressing also. You will need a different approach and rely on the piston to hold the valve up.

Regards Rick Cobley

diggerdeano
Great Britain

Post by diggerdeano » Thu Oct 25, 2018 7:27 pm

hi your type of spring compressor wont do you need the piston up to stop the valve dropping and press the spring down via the cap this will compress both springs and allow the collets (keepers)to be removed sometimes you have to give the valve spring cap a tap with a hammer to loosen them first .

TractorDude
United States of America

Post by TractorDude » Sun Jul 14, 2019 1:34 pm

After reading my post over again I figured an update would be nice as I do need a bit more info. I replace all the valve seals and the valves themselves were tight and didnt "wiggle" around. Still smoking though. I was checking all my fluids yesterday to start hay making and discovered that on my Minimec pump there is a screw right next to the filler plug that has a post with a little hole in it and a nut to tighten it. Well it was loose so I just tightened the nut down but both pieces turned. I did notice that now I am getting a lot more smoke. What is this and how do I adjust it correctly??? And could this have been my problem all along???

I also am going to have my injectors tested. While they are out was wondering the best way to check compression. I have a compression gauge just wondering the best way to hook it up.