384 engine

A place for general Leyland tractor questions and chat
tractor
Wales

384 engine

Post by tractor » Thu Feb 07, 2019 3:15 am

Oh the woes continue, water in the engine oil :roll:
I knew something was up when I replaced crankshaft bearings last summer, a couple of drops of coolant splashed my face.
Is it head gasket, cylinder liners or block, the question I ask is, how to determine which one?
On a different note, admin I managed to find my password 👍
Regards
Tom

I try then try some more, failing that I try again :lol:

diggerdeano
Great Britain

Re: 384 engine

Post by diggerdeano » Thu Feb 07, 2019 7:47 pm

hi does it pressurise the cooling sytem from cold ie just by cranking or does it need to warm up before it pressurises if it needs to warm up then its a liner .. the best to check which cylinder it is is sump off pressurise the cooling system 15 psi and look for the drips of water then look which side of the liner its coming off inside or outside if its running down inside the liner then its possibly and injector sleeve head gasket or cracked liner if its outside of the liner it ll be the liner seals . so once youve got which pot is leaking take out the injector and look for signs of leaking in there to eliminate the copper sleeve watch you dont pull the sleeve out with the injector try twisting the injector first next is head off and look for signs of it being a blown gasket and if that all looks ok next is liner out so remove the liner if you use a puller make sure the crank journal is out of the way once the liner is out look around the top about 1/2 down from the top and give the liner a gentle tap with a hammer it should ring like a bell if it doesnt theres a crack so turn it upside down and hit the rim quite hard go around till you find the weak bit .

tractor
Wales

Post by tractor » Tue Feb 12, 2019 3:59 am

Sorry been busy on snow work with other tractor. Due to it being the middle of winter here, have decided to give this (steel seal) a go, hopefully it can help until this weather warms up and I can work on it. Will post an update later.

tractor
Wales

Post by tractor » Wed Feb 20, 2019 3:24 am

Sealer in and so far so good, early days but looks promising. Now to get the lutch sorted ;)

diggerdeano
Great Britain

Post by diggerdeano » Wed Feb 20, 2019 7:39 am

just one thing the sealer might stop the leak but the liner is weakend ive seen them pull the liner down and obliterate the bottom end to a point the engine was beyond any repair.

tractor
Wales

Post by tractor » Fri Feb 22, 2019 11:56 am

Oh well time will tell, time will tell :) waiting now for the clutch to arrive ;)

ploughman

Post by ploughman » Fri Feb 22, 2019 12:19 pm

Hi,
Dont try taking the clutch out without fitting the retaining staples! The lad here did that, on the 262 I mentioned earlier, led to loads of extra work and effort. He has since bought some staples, they were £2.00 each.
Regards,
Harry

tractor
Wales

Post by tractor » Fri Feb 22, 2019 12:51 pm

Yes, this will have been around the third time I have taken this clutch out, made those clips and have them still ;) just waiting the snow to start diminishing and that good old sunshine to stay out a bit longer :lol:

tractor
Wales

Post by tractor » Fri Mar 15, 2019 9:34 am

Happy man today, the clutch packet arrived, top marks to TCD, well chuffed am i :)

Now to wait for warmer weather before delving in yet again to the dark depths of my little old 384.

diggerdeano
Great Britain

Post by diggerdeano » Sun Mar 17, 2019 2:29 pm

hi before you fit the new unit slide the crosshafts out and clean and grease them were they run on the bushes the little anti movement peg for the pto fork crossshaft requires a BA 0 thread to pull the peg out. these bushes are always neglected and can cause endless problems if they are tight on the shafts .