Leyland 272 gearbox

A place for general Leyland tractor questions and chat
briaineo
Ireland

Re: Leyland 272 gearbox

Post by briaineo » Mon Feb 25, 2019 4:08 pm

Hi

Didn’t get a chance to take off bell housing due to family illness

Was thinking when the tractor originally stopped working it was going up hill, and was towed back to the yard mostly down hill. This was when it worked for 5 mins but when drivenen up a small incline it with a bale on the back she dropped out of gear and wouldn’t go back in - to clear up what I said about the crunching and grinding: when you try and engage a gear it sounds like something isn’t reaching where it’s supposed to at the bell housing.

Thanks for all the replies will try and get the bell housing off soon

diggerdeano
Great Britain

Post by diggerdeano » Mon Mar 04, 2019 7:36 am

hi to have no drive it sounds like the sipgot shaft / input shaft sleeve has slipped which means atleast one of the retaining pins has broke or not been fitted its inside the pto drive coupling directly after the clutch if your lucky thats all it is

briaineo
Ireland

Post by briaineo » Thu Mar 07, 2019 1:49 pm

Hi

Took off the bell housing

Any ideas?

diggerdeano
Great Britain

Post by diggerdeano » Thu Mar 07, 2019 7:04 pm

hi the pto coupling is between the clutch and gearbox its got 4 bolts horizontally with lock tabs, the housing around it needs removing including the lower part which also needs a bolt removing from the pussy cat housing (pto primary gears)and then it take s a bit of wiggling to get it out . once you split the pto coupling inside is a tube with two pins through it (should be two pins )the clips that retain the pins have to be slide around to get them out and then pull the end not in the pin off the shaft and it should come out of the pin then slide the tube into the clutch but leave enough sticking out for you to get hold of to slide it back (there are slots in the tube for a screw driver to help slide it in and out) inside the tube are two toggles these screw into the shafts they can be removed if needed but theres not lots of room but they will come out

tractor
Wales

Post by tractor » Fri Mar 08, 2019 3:51 am

These may help
ImageImage
I try then try some more, failing that I try again :lol:

briaineo
Ireland

Post by briaineo » Sun Mar 10, 2019 1:04 pm

Any tips in getting those bolts off been struggling and only managed to get one off, they seem like very “soft” heads on the bolts. The space available doesn’t allow any sockets to fit (walls too thick on the one I have)

Is there an easy way of turning the shaft to access the lower bolts? I noticed it rotated when I had a spanner on one of the bolts also the gears behind turned aswell

Noticed this; attached photo guessing it’s the high gears

The mechanic was over dropping over a spare tractor he had and he said the problem is in the synchro part of the gearbox.

briaineo
Ireland

Post by briaineo » Sun Mar 10, 2019 7:41 pm

Hi

Managed to get the rounded bolt out (took the socket to a bench grinder the thinner walls worked a charm)but I cannot seem to rotate the shaft any ideas?

Thanks

diggerdeano
Great Britain

Post by diggerdeano » Sun Mar 10, 2019 10:48 pm

hi make sure its in neutral or you wont turn it

briaineo
Ireland

Post by briaineo » Sat Mar 16, 2019 2:44 pm

Gearbox in neutral, although seems to come across a slight resistance but it rotates past it if I juggle the cogs. Both sets of cogs turn freely

Can’t seem to rotate that shaft at all it seems to be catching at clutch side. Can’t get at the bolts from underneath. Driving me insane at this stage!

diggerdeano
Great Britain

Post by diggerdeano » Sat Mar 16, 2019 5:20 pm

turn the engine and your coupling will rotate with it