Leyland 272 gearbox

A place for general Leyland tractor questions and chat
briaineo
Ireland

Re: Leyland 272 gearbox

Post by briaineo » Sun Mar 17, 2019 11:18 am

Thanks for all the replies

Managed to rotate the engine, bloody bolts still causing issues, would I be able to cut the heads off and access that way? Not putting those actual bolts back on again anyway!

diggerdeano
Great Britain

Post by diggerdeano » Sun Mar 17, 2019 2:18 pm

im not sure if you cut the heads off theres enough room to slide the coupling half off the remaining bolts . you could fit marshall ones as they are allen bolts and no lock tabs but a little locktite on the threads . some people had problems with them working loose so make sure they are tight when putting it back together .

briaineo
Ireland

Post by briaineo » Sat Apr 06, 2019 12:45 pm

Hi

Thanks for all the help, managed to get those bolts out eventually but can see one pin on the shaft there is one broken clip but can seem to access or see where the other pin should go?

briaineo
Ireland

Post by briaineo » Sat Apr 06, 2019 4:58 pm

The shaft seems to have moved in the direction of the clutch too far and it’s broken the pin head and retaining clip. The pin is still in place but with the head sheared off.

Any idea what might have allowed this to happen and any help on my next move would be great.

Thanks

diggerdeano
Great Britain

Post by diggerdeano » Sun Apr 07, 2019 8:46 am

hi . you need to take the pins out and slide the tube in towards the clutch there are slots in the tube to allow a screw driver to pry the tube in and out dont push it right in as you need to get it back . inside that tube are two toggles that screw into the shaft ends sometimes they do come out if not fitted tightly they are simply screwed in nothing fancy about them , if they are broken its very possibly as sign of worn spigot shaft splines and the pin is taking all weight of the drive torque and breaking them . the wire retaining clips slide them around through the pin to the end then pull the loose end off the shaft and then out of the pin the ends of the wire have a kink the opposite way to stop them coming out . put new toggles and pins dont mix new and old its not worth it and two new fibre washers these fit on the toggles before fitting in the shafts dont over tighten them or youll split the washers just tighten enough to make them firmly held .

briaineo
Ireland

Post by briaineo » Sun Apr 07, 2019 10:55 am

Hi diggerdeano

Was having a bit of trouble getting access to the pin nearest the clutch, was completely hidden by the splined over it managed to move it back a bit but still not enough to remove the pin, as per photo the pin is under the splined shaft, the restraining ring is loose on the shaft.

Also the toggle that the pins go into seem loose, how muck force can I apply to get the shaft back to access the second pin?

Thanks

briaineo
Ireland

Post by briaineo » Sun Apr 07, 2019 11:35 am

Actually got the pin out but that shaft ain’t moving towards the clutch it will only move about half a centimeter or so, just enough to cover the first pin hole. Should it move further?

diggerdeano
Great Britain

Post by diggerdeano » Sun Apr 07, 2019 7:25 pm

hi that tube should slide right in towards the clutch have you got two pins out there are two pins

diggerdeano
Great Britain

Post by diggerdeano » Sun Apr 07, 2019 7:29 pm

think i see part of your problem it looks like the pto drive tube has come out of its spigot bearing and its covering the second pin i can see its worn the pin head off . once you get the pins out and shafts moved id be having that clutch out and give it a good coat of looking at .

briaineo
Ireland

Post by briaineo » Sun Apr 07, 2019 11:43 pm

Hi

Yep got both pins out but cannot get the shaft to move any more that half a centimeter in the direction of the clutch, put a screw driver in one of the holes and put a pry bar against it no go. Just as i’m writing this i’m thinking: I should really avoid putting something all the way through the hole kinda defeats the purpose, i’ll try again tomorrow.

If the tube has slipped out of the spigot bearing I presume i’ll break the bearing if I hammer the shaft back through it.

Is removing the clutch very difficult for a complete amateur?

Thanks