282 pto

A place for general Leyland tractor questions and chat
speedbuff
Canada

282 pto

Post by speedbuff » Tue Feb 26, 2019 4:13 am

A friend of mine has a 282 Leyland that has lost the pto drive .what is the easiest way to try and determine what has failed ? The hydraulics still work somewhat I believe but don't think they do under load .what is the best way to proceed to determine the cause of the failure?

diggerdeano
Great Britain

Re: 282 pto

Post by diggerdeano » Tue Feb 26, 2019 6:39 pm

id check the pto clutch is releasing fully the handle might go all the way forawrds but check all linkage underneath goes all the way back aswell

speedbuff
Canada

Post by speedbuff » Wed Feb 27, 2019 12:23 am

Will do but I think it let go while working . I was just hoping to find the easiest way to narrow down what failedstart at the front or the rear pull the tombstone or the clutch cover? Or maybe something else . The owner commented that the engagement lever felt funny so maybe start there?

diggerdeano
Great Britain

Post by diggerdeano » Mon Mar 04, 2019 7:26 am

just check the lever is tight on the pto selector shaft ive known them work loose and then jump out of gear because it was slack ,they are on a splined shaft but if used loose they do wear the hub the lever goes on too and then slip on the splines and that can allow it to slip out of gear its the lever that holds them in gear using the slot in the cab also if the cab mounts have failed and the cab moves it too can allow it to slip out of gear

speedbuff
Canada

Post by speedbuff » Sun Mar 10, 2019 11:39 am

well we can rule out the cab mounts this is an export tractor .Were still well into winter here the owner hasn't brought it in yet to have a look and see .Spring is coming even up here in the north ! will come back to the board with more info

speedbuff
Canada

Post by speedbuff » Sun Mar 10, 2019 11:52 pm

Had a quick look today it's shifting in ok tractor was off and could not spin the pto by hand when it was engaged I suspect the problem to be in the clutch housing or pussy cat housing?

diggerdeano
Great Britain

Post by diggerdeano » Sun Mar 17, 2019 7:19 pm

id take the lever off the selector shaft then put the pto in gear and make absolutely sure its fully engaged then refit the lever with it resting against the gate notch so it holds it fully engaged also look at the gate notch and see if its worn the edge off the notch and bend the pto lever so it rests fully against the gate . they have to be set so they fullly engage or it will force itself out of gear underload . i have changed a few pto layshafts that have sheared . do the hyds work fine its the same drive line that powers the hyd pump so any clutch or drive line failure would also result in no hyds . so if the hyds are fine it then points to a pto engagement issue .

speedbuff
Canada

Post by speedbuff » Wed Jun 12, 2019 5:10 pm

Well the leyland 282 arrived for me to look at today pto inop and hydraulics inop. Where do I start ? Tombstone off or do I start at the clutch?

diggerdeano
Great Britain

Post by diggerdeano » Wed Jun 12, 2019 7:27 pm

hi before you go taking bits off just check the pto clutch is fully releasing and the rod and lever are going all the way to the fully released position try tapping the pto lever under the floor forwards to ensure its fully released

speedbuff
Canada

Post by speedbuff » Thu Jun 13, 2019 1:33 pm

Will check all the linkages first for the clutch and the engagement lever . I am going to check the drag of the pto as well by turning the rear shaft by hand them comparing it to one of my other synchro tractors. I will report back. I was hoping to use an inspection camera too. But don't imagine the would be a spot to get a look at anything?