282 pto

A place for general Leyland tractor questions and chat
speedbuff
Canada

Re: 282 pto

Post by speedbuff » Thu Jun 13, 2019 4:33 pm

Ok spun the pto by hand when I engage the drive I can feel I am turning much more. After turning it for a few revolutions it becomes more difficult . Am I right in assuming that is due to the hydraulic pump starting to build pressure ?
This has made me decide to go in from the clutch side checked the linkage for the clutch it seemed to have a lot of free play . I think maybe it's as simple as a coupling having came apart or maybe the clutch disk grenaded. Will try and get a look in there and see tomorrow. Any ideas or input would be greatly appreciated

diggerdeano
Great Britain

Post by diggerdeano » Thu Jun 13, 2019 10:07 pm

yes with the pto in gear you would turn the pump too . it could be it was left with the pto clutch disengaged and its stuck in that position in the unit or maybe the pto drive tube has slipped and come away from the gearbox pto input shaft.only one way to find out

speedbuff
Canada

Post by speedbuff » Thu Jun 20, 2019 3:27 pm

Problem found the the drive coupling came apart all rattled loose inside the housing easy fix . Any Ideas on root cause ? I will be using thread locker putting this back together

diggerdeano
Great Britain

Post by diggerdeano » Thu Jun 20, 2019 8:26 pm

hi so the four bolts had come out there should be lock tabs on them really but marshalls did use loctite and allen headed bolts this stopped any problems with not getting the bolts tight enough . while your there check the condition of the pins and toggles for the main drive tube be silly not too .check your crosshafts are moving freely and on the maindrive clutch fork check the little bronze bushes between the bearing carrier and fork are ok they can crack and fallout also the bolts that hold the clutch fork in place on the crosshaft makesure they are tight and generally have a good look round .

JohnP
Great Britain

Post by JohnP » Fri Jun 21, 2019 8:38 am

Leyland Tractors replaced the bolts and lock washers with Allen Cap Screws and Loctite 241 in 1981 at chassis number 252643.

This was to overcome the difficulty in tightening the hexagon headed bolts with an open ended spanner. The Allen screws should be torqued to 27 to 35 lbf ft.

Existing bolts can be directly replaced with suitable Allen screws.
JVP

If it ain't bust don't fix it!

speedbuff
Canada

Post by speedbuff » Mon Jun 24, 2019 11:44 pm

Yup the plates were missing got some used ones to help prevent it from happening again. Will use locktite as well to be sure. Thanks for all you're help