262 judder when moving off.

A place for general Leyland tractor questions and chat
Seamus

262 judder when moving off.

Post by Seamus » Mon Mar 11, 2019 10:12 pm

Hi all, our 262 has had a judder in the driveline when the clutch is being released. It's been noticeable for a few years but lately it's been getting worse. Recently I removed the back end to clean hydraulic filter and noticed that the central diff pin had badly worn bushes so I replaced the pin and both bushes, thought this had improved things but seemingly not. This judder may have originated from an incorrectly set toggle arms on the pressure plate when it was fitted a long time ago as the judder was severe when a new clutch unit was fitted and when the square inspection plate was removed the cover was running slightly out of true. It was adjusted as much as possible through the inspection hole but I think it was never perfected. I'm guessing there may be wear in the many couplings in the bell housing but is there anywhere else I should look first? This is a loader tractor so all this juddering is not good long term. There is around 23 thousand hours on the tractor and I fitted a synchro box instead of a crash box around 7 thousand hours ago.
Thanks for any replies.
Seamus.

diggerdeano
Great Britain

Re: 262 judder when moving off.

Post by diggerdeano » Sun Mar 17, 2019 7:02 pm

hi . sounds like the thrust ring on the clutch is out and not running true could be adjustment related or worn levers . has your clutch cover got the plate bolted on top of it under the steering orbital unit or is it a solid piece if you can take the plate off it ll let you see inside a bit better .

Seamus

Post by Seamus » Mon Mar 18, 2019 7:26 am

Hi Diggerdeano, my tractor has the side inspection plate, it's a power assisted model. Is there room to check/ adjust the thrust ring through the plate or maybe I'd be as well to lift the entire cover off to check couplings for wear also. Can I check thrust ring statically or set up a dial indicator and run/rotate engine by hand? Thanks for reply.

diggerdeano
Great Britain

Post by diggerdeano » Mon Mar 18, 2019 7:14 pm

hi you can adjust them via the little inspection plate but you cant see the thrust ring to see when its running true . dial gauge is the best way but going by eye is an acceptable method . you need to spin the engine over to see if the ring is true dont start it just crank it . ive not used a dial gauge on any of mine and they are all fine no judder at biting point .

Seamus

Post by Seamus » Tue Mar 19, 2019 7:05 am

Thanks Diggerdeano, it's cover off time then at the next chance I get, fairly sure there's no top hatch on the cover unless it's under where the steering box bolts on. No harm removing cover anyway to check for other wear.

X344chap

Post by X344chap » Fri Apr 26, 2019 2:59 pm

+1 on removing the bell housing when you get a chance.

With those kind of hours i'd expect the levers and pivot pins to be worn meaning that the adjustment you can get through the side inspection cover can be limited and ineffective.

New pivot pin bushes and adjustment using a steel rule made all the difference to mine - judder and drag on the clutch disappeared.

Seamus

Post by Seamus » Tue May 14, 2019 7:04 pm

Just updating this, got the clutch cover off and found wear in quite a few components. The thrust ring has worn contacts where the three fingers contact, also the three fingers are worn and loose along with their pins, anti rotation pins and screws are worn and holes elongated, the shaft that fits in the clutch disc is worn also. Amazingly there is only one mm of wear on the clutch in over a decade of daily work but the centre splined area is worn. A lot of this wear is probably due to the thrust ring being out of line for a while. Parts ordered up now...

JohnP
Great Britain

Post by JohnP » Tue May 14, 2019 7:20 pm

High melting point white Lithium grease should be applied sparingly to all splines and pivots, including the splines on the sliding tube and muff coupling.

Available from Amazon or high street motor parts suppliers.

This will reduce wear and prevent rust.
JVP

If it ain't bust don't fix it!

Seamus

Post by Seamus » Tue May 14, 2019 11:03 pm

Thanks JVP, all splines were dry especially the splines at the anti rotation pins. I'll get some of that grease before reassembly.