285 clutch problem

A place for general Leyland tractor questions and chat
Tomb
Great Britain

285 clutch problem

Post by Tomb » Wed Mar 13, 2019 2:53 pm

Hi guys. I parked my 285 up to service it yesterday. Everything was working fine. I’ve just come to start it up and I can’t select any gears. Clutch pedal feels fairly normal and when I start it in gear and depress the clutch it just keeps going. Any help would be really appreciated.

Jamie Davis
Site Admin
Great Britain

Re: 285 clutch problem

Post by Jamie Davis » Wed Mar 13, 2019 4:32 pm

Was it driving ok prior to you parking it up? How long did it stand for?
Jamie Davis

Past - Nuffield 10/60
Present - Nuffield 460 & Nuffield 4/65

Tomb
Great Britain

Post by Tomb » Wed Mar 13, 2019 4:45 pm

It was driving perfectly fine and only parked up for 24 hours

diggerdeano
Great Britain

Post by diggerdeano » Thu Mar 14, 2019 9:26 am

hi , the pedal feels normal and it still keeps driving with the pedal pressed i would have to guess at the clutch lining has come off the plate and bunched up in one place and the clutch simply cannot release from it . one way to check this is look underneath at the clutch and look at the thrust ring if doesnt sit true then its probably because the clutch is all bunched up in one spot .if something had broken you would have heard it break so with no sudden noise or any other tell tale signs thats what i would expect to find . 285s and 2100s are notorious for clutch issues get rid of the rubber rear eng mounts and all the problems go but you will have to live with some vibration but put some rubber mats on the floor and that will help insulate your feet from most of that .

Tomb
Great Britain

Post by Tomb » Thu Mar 14, 2019 10:39 am

Thank you very much, I’m guessing if this is the case then it’s a strip down job

JohnP
Great Britain

Post by JohnP » Thu Mar 14, 2019 1:29 pm

The rear engine mounts were always problematic but they were what they were!

When mechanics repaired/renewed the mounts most were totally unaware that the large diameter spacers were "Selective" with a number of different thicknesses! They were thrown into the box and refitted without any thought as to which mount they had been removed from. Result - The engine was out of alignment causing instant clutch shaft and clutch plate failure!!

If you do fit solid mounts you MUST ensure the engine is correctly aligned to the gearbox. This is VERY, VERY important! This applies to side to side at the back of the engine and up and down at the front mounts. Any rear metal mounts fitted must be machined to size to maintain the alignment.

The alignment procedure is in the workshop manual.
JVP

If it ain't bust don't fix it!

JohnP
Great Britain

Post by JohnP » Thu Mar 14, 2019 2:55 pm

These pictures may help you.

JVP

If it ain't bust don't fix it!

ploughman

Post by ploughman » Thu Mar 14, 2019 5:35 pm

Hi,
bit concerned by the "fairly normal" . Might be an idea to check the linkages etc are moving correctly when pedal is depressed.

Tomb
Great Britain

Post by Tomb » Thu Mar 14, 2019 9:10 pm

I’ve taken the top cover off and everything is working. The Pto clutch engages and disengages but when pressing the foot clutch, the mechanism is all
Working and the springs are moving, just the clutch plate won’t seem to move away from the flywheel

diggerdeano
Great Britain

Post by diggerdeano » Fri Mar 15, 2019 5:06 am

with your foot off the clutch crank the it over and watch the main drive thrust ring it should run true , just crank it dont start it theres no need too