nuffield m4 adjustable rear wheels

A place for general Nuffield questions and chat
greywolf
Great Britain

nuffield m4 adjustable rear wheels

Post by greywolf » Fri Mar 15, 2019 2:07 pm

hi
planning on taking my nuffield on the road this year but am concerned about the length of shafts protuding from the rear wheels! would they need some type of cover? dont want bits of pedestrians and buss'es caught on them !

Jamie Davis
Site Admin
Great Britain

Re: nuffield m4 adjustable rear wheels

Post by Jamie Davis » Fri Mar 15, 2019 3:25 pm

Surely if you cover them, they will still protrude?

I shouldn’t worry, they don’t stick out too far and Nuffields are a lot narrower than most road going vehicles.

Hopefully vehicles won’t be driving that close to you!
Jamie Davis

Past - Nuffield 10/60
Present - Nuffield 460 & Nuffield 4/65

DAL PZ

Post by DAL PZ » Fri Mar 15, 2019 11:10 pm

If you don't have any three legged cow or sheep &have managed to still have any gate posts around your buildings & land "off road" then you will probably be able to avoid the odd pedestrian or bus on the road!
I don't think there is any legislation around this but you could always paint the protruding axles in red & white stripes or if you are a bit handy I am sure something, removeable when not on the road, could be fabricated that would act as a hanging warning marker but allow the axles to turn within it!

greywolf
Great Britain

Post by greywolf » Sat Mar 16, 2019 10:50 am

ok thank you for the advice ill get me paint out lol!

Rick Cobley
Great Britain

Post by Rick Cobley » Sat Mar 16, 2019 9:08 pm

Hi, Whatever you do, don't cut the back. It seriously devalues a tractor and ruins its appearance!

Regards Rick Cobley

Jazo
New Zealand

Post by Jazo » Sun Mar 17, 2019 9:51 am

Hi, maybe just push the rear wheels out some more so the axles don't protrude as much?
3/45 with faster reductions and turbo

Grey wolf
Great Britain

Post by Grey wolf » Sun Mar 17, 2019 6:24 pm

will push wheels out I think may even turn em round! but it will be nearly 7 ft wide! [must remind myself not to try to squeeze through any gaps :D ]

mike.l
Canada

Post by mike.l » Sun Mar 17, 2019 10:57 pm

Hi I go on road runs with my tractor wheel axles stick out a bit., but i do not think you will ever drive by anything at speed within 6" of the outside of the tire when its that tight people tend to slow down and look,and at that height the wheel axle tends to be in align with the drivers mirror or his door. most will move over before they let you take the mirror off as Rick said do not cut them off its like cutting value of tractor in half good luck on tractor run mike