leyland 344 lower link arm ball end- help?

A place for general Leyland tractor questions and chat
mikek
Great Britain

leyland 344 lower link arm ball end- help?

Post by mikek » Sun Jun 09, 2019 4:35 pm

Hi all

just getting her ready for haytime and notice the link ball is missing from the lower link arm. Can't think how that could come off and where it could be!!

Firstly what Cat would it be and how would I fit it, as the other seems well pressed in. Don't want to weld anything on just want to get a ball and fit it. Any responses would be greatly appreciated
thank you

mike

mikek
Great Britain

Re: leyland 344 lower link arm ball end- help?

Post by mikek » Sun Jun 09, 2019 4:44 pm

just checked size and inside dia about 23mm and outside of ball about 53mm

mike.l
Canada

Post by mike.l » Sun Jun 09, 2019 7:18 pm

Hi on my old type lift arms the balls are easy to remove i turn them to the holes are up and down and they will slide out you should be able to get replacement ones from one of the tractor parts house and 23 mm means its the large dia pins
mike forgot that's category 2 pins

mikek
Great Britain

Post by mikek » Tue Jun 11, 2019 11:35 am

thanks you for your reply

mikek
Great Britain

Post by mikek » Tue Jun 11, 2019 5:49 pm

just to update on this as I have done the job today. I had to buy the ball ( its cat 1 at 22mm inside dia) the larger ball Cat 2 attaches to the tractor. Then bought a face plate that's slightly hollowed out and attaches to the arm to hold the ball in place and 4 solid rivets. Firstly had to get the old knackered face plate off- so did some grinding and tried to drift them out - no chance , every blow splayed the rivet, even after grinding flat to surface!! Only way was a HSS drill but had to be really accurate so as not to damage the main arm holes. Getting the arm flat on the pillar drill base is a bit tricky .Interestingly behind the face plate was a metal gasket but unfortunately it was too damaged to reuse ( plus I wasn't aware that it had one otherwise I would have bought one too). The rivets that came were too long so cut them down with hacksaw. " I cut 2 fine and 2 a bit short- having never used solid rivets before it was a bit of gamble how much protrusion to leave on. Anyway bashed on the rivets, head down on the makeshift anvil( back end of my reversible vice) and using ball pein hammered the protruding rivet shaft ( not the heads) and 2 bluzzed out fine and the other two half decent . To be on safe side I did a quick tack weld. Not sure why I didn't just weld all round but it was an interesting experience with the solid rivets. job done .

DAL PZ

Post by DAL PZ » Tue Jun 11, 2019 7:37 pm

Sorry but that "metal gasket" is actually a spring steel plate that retains the ball when its upright in the vertical position with a couple of lugs but allows the ball to be removed passed the sprung lugs in the horizontal position.The lugs rust away & sooner or later the ball finds its way out of the socket. You need to replace that plate or it will just drop out again I hope you don't have to drill the new rivets out again!

JohnP
Great Britain

Post by JohnP » Wed Jun 12, 2019 8:49 am

When a ball drops out and is picked up in a forage harvester the end result can be catastrophic!
JVP

If it ain't bust don't fix it!

DAL PZ

Post by DAL PZ » Wed Jun 12, 2019 9:07 am

That is very true JVP!

mikek
Great Britain

Post by mikek » Wed Jun 12, 2019 10:50 am

thanks for the info and well that's burst the bubble a bit BUT have now tried to force it out and cannot do it easily( at all), The old face plate was shot and that's where I guess it came out so I am thinking the new face plate will do the job( ish) . Obviously its retained with a pin if its working and will keep my eye on it or even put a tie wire on it when not been used coz I don't fancy doing the job again.

mikek
Great Britain

Post by mikek » Wed Jun 12, 2019 10:59 am

I have now realised why there was no mention of the metal gasket when I bought the retainer plate because in fact I bought the wrong one - the one at the tractor end which has a curved inner race, so am hoping that stupidity turns to serendipity and that retainer plate is totally captive of the ball.Tell me I am right please??