leyland 344 lower link arm ball end- help?

A place for general Leyland tractor questions and chat
DAL PZ
Posts: 57
Joined: Mon Apr 09, 2018 10:39 am

Re: leyland 344 lower link arm ball end- help?

Post by DAL PZ » Wed Jun 12, 2019 2:43 pm

I don't know I've not seen the scalloped retainer plate. The setup you have is a Nuffield Idea I have it on my Nuffield 4/65 but I was surprised that it had carried on to the first of the Leylands although they were simply the Nuffield 4/65 & 345 with different tin.!
If the scalloped plate was designed for use on the same arms as the old arrangement then it will probably be fine but if was not & the arms were changed as well then possibly it wont work with the old style arms.
Acid test, now that you have fitted it, turn the ball sideways & fetch it a smart tap with a hammer if it comes out then no it doesn't work!
Let me know if it is OK or not as the same happened to me with my 4/65 last year. As I remembered the struggle, replacing the sprung retainers, 4 or 5 years previously I've done nothing about it yet save buy a replacement ball £1.20 + VAT which lives in the tool box when not actually in use with an implement when it can't fall out!



DAL PZ
Posts: 57
Joined: Mon Apr 09, 2018 10:39 am

Re: leyland 344 lower link arm ball end- help?

Post by DAL PZ » Wed Jun 12, 2019 2:48 pm

Oh by the way the Cat 1 & 2 balls are interchangeable with the original Nuffield set up the Tractors were supplied wit a set of both!

mikek
Posts: 31
Joined: Sat Sep 08, 2018 5:28 pm
Great Britain

Re: leyland 344 lower link arm ball end- help?

Post by mikek » Wed Jun 12, 2019 5:46 pm

hi test complete and doesn't come out either side- result. Here is the site I bought it from- as I say they sell the proper retainer plate for the implement end and it also quotes the relevant spring gasket so am guessing they stick that too. Also to the right you will the plate I bought which is for the tractor side where it looks like its not meant to come out, the chamfered design means there is no facility for any replacement and the arm fits on a cat 2 pin on the tractor.
https://www.tractorspareparts.co.uk/ley ... tkk1h052a6

mikek
Posts: 31
Joined: Sat Sep 08, 2018 5:28 pm
Great Britain

Re: leyland 344 lower link arm ball end- help?

Post by mikek » Wed Jun 12, 2019 5:48 pm

p.s if you scroll down that page the metal spring gasket is displayed

KGraham
Posts: 15
Joined: Tue Jun 04, 2019 3:06 am
Canada

Re: leyland 344 lower link arm ball end- help?

Post by KGraham » Thu Jun 13, 2019 1:38 am

Thanks for the info, I'm in the same boat, I have to tie wrap mine when not in use, I have one that falls out as well. Doesn't sound fun to fix, I think I'll keep the wrapping it for now.

Bill Edwards
Posts: 30
Joined: Sun Apr 01, 2018 11:42 pm

Re: leyland 344 lower link arm ball end- help?

Post by Bill Edwards » Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:06 am

I had a ball disappear on my Leyland. Looking at the way it's held together with four rivets I decided that it'd be far less trouble to chop it and fit a common weld on ball assembly, which aren't expensive. Not original, but tight, effective and no risk of the ball ever coming out.

Rick Cobley
Posts: 211
Joined: Fri Mar 30, 2018 9:32 pm
Contact:
Great Britain

Re: leyland 344 lower link arm ball end- help?

Post by Rick Cobley » Sat Jun 15, 2019 10:09 pm

Bill Edwards wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:06 am
I had a ball disappear on my Leyland. Looking at the way it's held together with four rivets I decided that it'd be far less trouble to chop it and fit a common weld on ball assembly, which aren't expensive. Not original, but tight, effective and no risk of the ball ever coming out.
Hi Bill, Did your tractor have the standard link arms or the heavy duty? Reason is I have yet to find a weld on ballend to match the section of the heavy duty arms!

Regards Rick Cobley

mike.l
Posts: 88
Joined: Fri Mar 30, 2018 10:29 pm
Canada

Re: leyland 344 lower link arm ball end- help?

Post by mike.l » Sat Jun 15, 2019 11:05 pm

Hi i read that the original poster purchased a category 1 ball end and put it in the arm .Think that might have been a not so smart move. A category 2 ball can be bushed to fit category 1 bushings are available in most parts stores but you are limited to what implements you can use now with the small ball. just my 2 cents worth mike

mikek
Posts: 31
Joined: Sat Sep 08, 2018 5:28 pm
Great Britain

Re: leyland 344 lower link arm ball end- help?

Post by mikek » Sun Jun 16, 2019 12:27 pm

mike.l wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 11:05 pm
Hi i read that the original poster purchased a category 1 ball end and put it in the arm .Think that might have been a not so smart move. A category 2 ball can be bushed to fit category 1 bushings are available in most parts stores but you are limited to what implements you can use now with the small ball. just my 2 cents worth mike
Hi
the category 1 is fine because the only implements I ever use on the arms are the haybob and mower both of which are cat 1 implements.In fact I have to bush the mower to fit on my cat 2 Case IH arms.

Bill Edwards
Posts: 30
Joined: Sun Apr 01, 2018 11:42 pm

Re: leyland 344 lower link arm ball end- help?

Post by Bill Edwards » Mon Jun 17, 2019 1:22 am

Rick Cobley wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 10:09 pm
Bill Edwards wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:06 am
I had a ball disappear on my Leyland. Looking at the way it's held together with four rivets I decided that it'd be far less trouble to chop it and fit a common weld on ball assembly, which aren't expensive. Not original, but tight, effective and no risk of the ball ever coming out.
Hi Bill, Did your tractor have the standard link arms or the heavy duty? Reason is I have yet to find a weld on ballend to match the section of the heavy duty arms!

Regards Rick Cobley
I have no idea which type my tractor is fitted with, but the replacement ball end I fitted is certainly thinner than the arms. However, I'm quite confident that it's strong enough for anything the tractor can throw at it (the top casting for the hydraulic lift will probably break long before the new ball arrangement). I'll try to remember to get photos when I'm next there, hopefully this week.

Post Reply