Steering box bearing,

A place for general Nuffield questions and chat
Jamesq2
Ireland

Steering box bearing,

Post by Jamesq2 » Sun Jun 09, 2019 4:43 pm

Hello, the top bearing in my 10-60 steering box fell apart, can I replace it with a standard 6305 bearing 63x25x17 or does it have to be a 1305 same dimension 63x25x17 self aligning bearing? thanks James

Jeroen Sleijpen
Tractor God
Netherlands

Re: Steering box bearing,

Post by Jeroen Sleijpen » Mon Jun 10, 2019 6:26 pm

Have you tried searching the archives? One of the results that will come up:

viewtopic.php?t=3088
Leyland, Nuffield, BMC message board Facebook group:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/leylandnuffield/

Nuffield 10/60
Nuffield 10/42
Nuffield 342
Nuffield Universal 3

JohnM
Great Britain

Post by JohnM » Mon Sep 09, 2019 9:43 am

I am bringing up this thread again as I am changing a couple of 10/60 tractors top steering column bearings. One was very straightforward and only needed the centre bearing which was a completely reasonable price of £18.
Unfortunately the other tractor's bearing was indistinguishable as a bearing, just a mass of rust with a few balls lurking in the bottom of the steering box. Obviously it needs the full self aligning bearing but this is over £80 which I think is appalling for what is just an extra outer shell.
The link in the thread above gives an alternative number of 3/SLJS25, I have had one quote for this again at £82. This just seems crazy and a proper rip off, so does anyone know of any other alternatives please? I have read that a simple self aligning bearing of the correct dimensions 25x62x17 mm will make the circlip pop out as it does not have the right angled corner on the outer edge. Any way around this ie shim or something, I would rather turn something on the lathe than have to pay this extortionate price as a matter of principle. (OK I admit I am hard work and tight)

Neil Jackson
Great Britain

Post by Neil Jackson » Mon Sep 09, 2019 1:03 pm

Hi,
A simple 25x62x17mm self aligning bearing will have a rolled edge and this can make the circlip pop out as mentioned. I recall seeing something on the old forum regarding a triangular spacer / shim and found this:
viewtopic.php?f=36&t=750&p=933&hilit=st ... aring#p933
I'm not sure if you could turn the 45 deg chamfer on a lathe, might need to be ground due to hardness?
Regards
Neil

JohnM
Great Britain

Post by JohnM » Mon Sep 09, 2019 3:55 pm

Thanks for your helpful reply, the mystery deepens as I have spoken to a firm that sells the ordinary two row ball self aligning bearing with (presumably) the rounded edge and they say there has been no problems with them and suggested that possibly the circlip popping may be caused by play if the bearing can move up and down under the circlip. Apparently circlips were available in different thickness's to reduce this and of course play in the steering.
I may well try a self aligning bearing like this first to see what happens, I actually don't use the tractor I just wanted to make it moveable and did not want the steering box to deteriorate any further as it was full of water.
A good point about hardness but depending on where a bearing was made usually determines how hard it is, I have been appalled that some made in that great far eastern country can actually be cut with a hacksaw let alone a tipped lathe tool so I definitely don't foresee any issues with machining.

Neil Jackson
Great Britain

Post by Neil Jackson » Mon Sep 09, 2019 5:05 pm

I ran a standard 6305 with rounded edges in my 4DM for about a year and the circlip ended up quite dished. It didn't pop out but it was certainly on the way to doing that, I'd be a bit wary given that it makes steering a little difficult if it does pop out!
I'm now running a 1305 self aligning bearing, again with rounded edges, but I've cheated slightly as I've now converted the tractor to hydrostatic steering, so there is no axial load on the bearing :D

JohnM
Great Britain

Post by JohnM » Mon Sep 09, 2019 8:15 pm

Well I have taken the cheapest way out, it may be a case of "buy cheap buy twice" time will tell but I have ordered a 1305 for £16 including free delivery.
I have the head off now, going to do the valves so will be ordering more bits and pieces for that and I will add steering box bushes and a couple of circlips to the order once I have made a list.

Neil Jackson
Great Britain

Post by Neil Jackson » Mon Sep 09, 2019 9:33 pm

If I was doing it just to get the tractor moving I would probably do the same to be honest. My 4DM has 10.0/75 x 15.3 flotation tyres on the front which made the steering ridiculously heavy and obviously put a lot more strain on steering components that a standard width tyre.

mike.l
Canada

Post by mike.l » Tue Sep 10, 2019 1:03 am

Hi i remember the guy that machined the spacer for the bearing he was a very good machinist and had a lot of good tools at work to do that sort of thing A standard bearing will work BUT as murphy's law will have it it will come out at the most inopportune moment like when you forget and take it on a little road job i will leave the rest to your own imagination.
If the offshore bearings are soft enough to machine why not cut a small amount of material off the face and insert a flat washer in there that will give a flat shoulder for the circlip to sit on Just my 2 cents worth mike

JohnM
Great Britain

Post by JohnM » Tue Sep 10, 2019 6:29 pm

Yes thanks for all the advice, I will let you know what I eventually do, there is no concern about the bearing popping out and causing an accident as the tractor will not be going anywhere near a road. I am only trying to make it more easily movable when I need to cut the grass around it, as I probably mentioned before it was bought many years ago as a restoration project which of course never got done. However I hate to see it getting slowly worse with problems like the engine missing and the steering box full of water so at the moment I am literally bodging it up for now. I have the valves out and two of the exhaust ones are not a pretty sight, so I will replace them although to do a thorough job it really needs guides and seats as well.