384 pto query

A place for general Leyland tractor questions and chat
tractor
Wales

384 pto query

Post by tractor » Thu Jul 11, 2019 7:55 am

I put this on FB also hoping someone can shed some light on it.

384 pto query. I had to take the tombstone off after dropping part of the valve assembly down it (don't ask).

I am following manual regarding removing the pto shaft before tightening it all back up, but am having an issue removing the shaft. I have x2 bolts and x8 nuts plus brackets off, but the shaft only comes back roughly 5 or so inches (90-100mm)? I have tried with selector in hyd and pto but no luck? Any one know what needs to be done? Advice always appreciated.

Regards
Tom

I try then try some more, failing that I try again :lol:

diggerdeano
Great Britain

Re: 384 pto query

Post by diggerdeano » Thu Jul 11, 2019 11:15 pm

are you trying to get the pto off the tombstone or the tombstone off the the tractor

tractor
Wales

Post by tractor » Fri Jul 12, 2019 3:35 am

No worries all done, I had the tombstone off but was having problem getting pto shaft to fit back in.

paul2u
Great Britain

Post by paul2u » Mon Jul 15, 2019 9:49 pm

it can be fun at times i use guide bolts about 6 inches long and they guide you inn all the way to the dowels , give the pto a tweek with your hand as you push and on it pops

tractor
Wales

Post by tractor » Tue Jul 16, 2019 11:38 am

Yes I learned the hard way but it's in now.
Now I'm trying understand the PTO setting.
When I select out PTO turns freely same when I select hydraulic PTO turns freely, only when I select PTO does the shaft not move by hand. These with clutch off, so am not sure if that is how it is? I don't want to put oil back in until it's right.

diggerdeano
Great Britain

Post by diggerdeano » Tue Jul 16, 2019 6:44 pm

hi it sounds like the pto clutch plate is stuck . start it up put it in hyd and use the aux and put in to lift it should blow the relief valve off while its doing this pull the hand clutch back it should stop the hyds but if it doesnt your clutch is stuck but it might free off by putting something that takes a lot power on the pto and pulling the hand clutch back from time to time but dont run it with the hand clutch pulled back for more than ten mins at a time or youll overheat the release bearing .

tractor
Wales

Post by tractor » Wed Jul 17, 2019 9:25 am

Thanks for that, but all is well 👍 thanks especially Jeroen, where would we be without all the adice and help you guys give.