Steering box bushes

A place for general Nuffield questions and chat
JohnM
Great Britain

Steering box bushes

Post by JohnM » Thu Jul 11, 2019 3:51 pm

I have begun to overhaul the steering boxes on my 10/60's not before time I might add.
I received the parts from Charnleys and when I ordered them I asked the stores bloke if the bushes needed to be reamed.
"No" he said, I said "are you sure"? yes he said "I have never known anyone to need to ream them"
Well to cut a long story short I have inserted the small one first only to find that the shaft wont go in so I have ordered a set of adjustable reamers which I hope will work OK.
So my question to all the knowledgeable folk on here is it my bad luck or is it normal to have to ream the new bushes.

Jeroen Sleijpen
Tractor God
Netherlands

Re: Steering box bushes

Post by Jeroen Sleijpen » Thu Jul 11, 2019 5:53 pm

Original bushes always needed to be reamed to size with a special combination reamer. Reaming both diameter bushes with 1 reamer tool.
I am aware of the new bushes being "pre-sized" but those will only be on size if both the king pins and the bores are exact in size. Any distortion on both will have its effect on the bush inner size.

Regards,

Jeroen
Leyland, Nuffield, BMC message board Facebook group:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/leylandnuffield/

Nuffield 10/60
Nuffield 10/42
Nuffield 342
Nuffield Universal 3

JohnM
Great Britain

Post by JohnM » Thu Jul 11, 2019 7:35 pm

Thanks, well as I don't have access to a combination reamer I will have to hope that I can use the adjustable ones successfully when they arrive which may not be until Monday.
Presumably the combination reamer made sure that both bushes were dead in line?

Jeroen Sleijpen
Tractor God
Netherlands

Post by Jeroen Sleijpen » Thu Jul 11, 2019 9:09 pm

JohnM wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 7:35 pm
Presumably the combination reamer made sure that both bushes were dead in line?
That's the clue!
But with some effort, adjustable reamers will do the trick.
Leyland, Nuffield, BMC message board Facebook group:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/leylandnuffield/

Nuffield 10/60
Nuffield 10/42
Nuffield 342
Nuffield Universal 3

JohnM
Great Britain

Post by JohnM » Tue Jul 16, 2019 3:56 pm

Just in case anyone is thinking of doing the same thing, I bought a set of adjustable reamers from Chronos they go from just under 1/2 inch to 1.5 inch so just large enough.
They worked OK and the box is reassembled with no play but there is a slight snag in that the larger reamer will not pass completely through as the end is too big for the smaller bush hole. After a bit of head scratching I decided to remove the top adjustable end from the reamer which then allows the tool to enter the smaller hole. I took a tiny amount off with each pass and although this is a proper bodge it did work.

mike.l
Canada

Post by mike.l » Tue Jul 16, 2019 6:56 pm

Hi now you have new bushings in you could also replace the brass thrust washers with a roller thrust washers i documented it in the old forum and i found it very easy just now, just go to the old forum archives and search nuffield dl3 steering
i have them in my tractor now a couple of years and they work a treat better steering than on any other tractor i have
mike

chris4560
Australia

Post by chris4560 » Wed Jul 17, 2019 3:38 am

Hi Mike,

re "Hi now you have new bushings in you could also replace the brass thrust washers with a roller thrust washers"

would this also be the case for the 460?- my steering is horrendous- lots of slop.

Chris

mike.l
Canada

Post by mike.l » Wed Jul 17, 2019 4:43 am

HI it only takes the place of the brass thrust washer, you would have to replace the upper and lower bushing and remove all slop in the joints before you would be able to find any benefit from thrust races the upright part of the axle would have to be built up or replaced as well mike

chris4560
Australia

Post by chris4560 » Wed Jul 17, 2019 5:24 am

thanks Mike.

that sounds like a lot of work and beyond my current skills.

cheers

JohnM
Great Britain

Post by JohnM » Wed Jul 17, 2019 7:46 am

Thanks for the advice about the thrust washers Mike, I have found the thread about it.
Now that my steering box is working as it should I have realised how much play there is in the whole axle let alone the king pins so it will be a matter of prioritising what to do next once I get time.