Leyland 255 auxiliary hydraulics

A place for general Leyland tractor questions and chat
Jbrom
United States of America

Leyland 255 auxiliary hydraulics

Post by Jbrom » Sat Oct 12, 2019 3:57 pm

Hi all,
I recently acquired a Leyland 255. I went to add a loader and could not get any pressure out of my auxiliary output. After doing some reading on the matter I found that the Draft-Aux-Lift linkage was the problem. The linkage won't move in either direction. Pulled the cross shaft and found the linkage is hooked to a valve. This valve will not move in either direction. I tried tapping on it but it doesn't budge. Hopefully someone can help me out. Other then that everything else on the tractor works fine. (Pto and 3 point hydraulics)
Thanks, Jim

diggerdeano
Great Britain

Re: Leyland 255 auxiliary hydraulics

Post by diggerdeano » Sat Oct 12, 2019 6:23 pm

hi did you disconnect the aux spool from the control bar inside the hyd unit, sometimes the rod that passes through the casting seizes up with not being used also the aux lever itself can seize or become very hard to move

Jbrom
United States of America

Post by Jbrom » Sat Oct 12, 2019 9:34 pm

Yes I did disconnect the fork inside that attaches to the Valve (piston) It still won't turn or move in or out. Thanks for your reply. I'm seriously thinking about putting a PTO hydraulic pump on the tractor but I'm up in the air about how big it should be.

diggerdeano
Great Britain

Post by diggerdeano » Sun Oct 13, 2019 7:50 am

hi . right so the spool valve is stuck in the chest did you try giving it a tap or two with a heavy hammer just let the weight do it dont try beating it . if you go for a pto pump then around 8 gallons a minute is roughly the tractor hyd output. a thing to consider with a leyland is when the aux is used for a loader the 3 pt stops working as the aux takes priority and in some cases its a pain in the arse but if you have a pto pump you wont have that problem and some pto pumps have a pto output shaft so you dont have to remove the pump to run pto equipment but remember with a pto pump fitted you will need to check the pto shaft for clearance when the implement is in the raised position if the pto shaft is too long it will bottom and force the tractors pto shaft into the gearbox and create a lot of work and exspense.

Jbrom
United States of America

Post by Jbrom » Sun Oct 13, 2019 9:50 am

Hi,
I looked at a diagram of the spool valve control and couldn't see anything obvious that would break and jam the valve. I didn't tap on it to hard for fear of breaking something and losing my 3 point lift also. I think I'm still going for the pto pump because I would lose the function of my rear 3 point landscaping blade when using the loader. Am I correct in assuming that I can use the auxiliary output and auxiliary input of the tractor hydraulic fluid reservoir to feed the pto pump or would the jammed spool valve cause a problem. I'm thinking the pto pump would pump the oil from the tractor. If so, would I need to add a pressure relief valve? I'm still going to pull the top off again and give it a harder tap. Just worried about breaking something.
Thanks for your help,
Jim

Nowtnew
Great Britain

Post by Nowtnew » Sun Oct 13, 2019 2:10 pm

Hi
Forgetting the pto pump idea for the moment, what problem do you foresee with your loader and the blade? Provided you don't want to move them both at the same time, if you get the aux spool working again I would have thought that you'll be fine.

Regards

diggerdeano
Great Britain

Post by diggerdeano » Sun Oct 13, 2019 6:43 pm

hi ,, for an oil feed to your pto pump use one of the drain plugs on one halfshaft but fit an inline suction screen depending on your valve block some already have a relief valve built in and return your oil via the fill plug on top of the hyd unit or beside the gearstick which ever one it has dont worry about some saying youll aireate the oil it wont the gears are churning the oil and most oils have an antifoaming agent to prevent bubbles . if you do decide to try and free the spool put some wire through the pin hole i cant quite remember if the aux spool can slide out i vaguely remember doing this for some reason.

Jbrom
United States of America

Post by Jbrom » Mon Oct 14, 2019 11:40 am

Hi,
Thanks Digger. I pulled the rocker arms off and got a screwdriver on top of the stuck spool valve (not much room to get at it)and gave it a hard hit down. I could see from the lock ring that I could go down about a quarter inch. It moved and I got it freed up. Put things back together. Adjusted the rod link to specifications. Installed the loader I just purchased (Dunham Lehr 22) Hooked up my hydraulic lines and everything worked perfectly.
Thanks again,
Jim

diggerdeano
Great Britain

Post by diggerdeano » Mon Oct 14, 2019 8:29 pm

your welcome