344 starter question

A place for general Leyland tractor questions and chat
Lyndo
United States of America

344 starter question

Post by Lyndo » Wed Nov 20, 2019 11:56 pm

My 344 starter laid down on me. it would not motor when I bypassed the solenoid, brushes are long and free. Will a ford 5000 starter bolt up w/o modification? I have one I can try but thought I would ask first. I looked on https://www.dbelectrical.com the starter for a ford 5000 looks just like mine and is $20 less. The one listed for Leyland 344 does NOT look like mine.
ford
https://www.dbelectrical.com/products/f ... lsrc=aw.ds

Leyland 344
https://www.dbelectrical.com/products/t ... ators.html

Rick Cobley
Great Britain

Re: 344 starter question

Post by Rick Cobley » Thu Nov 21, 2019 11:54 am

Hi, The answer is here

viewtopic.php?f=14&t=3671

Regards Rick Cobley

Lyndo
United States of America

Post by Lyndo » Thu Nov 21, 2019 2:52 pm

Thanks Rick,
I watched the video about a dozen times before I asked the question. I ask the question because on my 344 the solenoid is at the 12 o'clock position relative to the starter motor as opposed to in the video it looks to be more like 2:30. I am thinking being turned that way (solenoid 12:00) the housing should not be in the way. also the links in the first post the ford starter looks like mine and the leyland one does not? Has some one already swapped the starter for a ford one? I am asking myself.

I called the local shop (really good dude) to price a replacement, ~$250 tax and all. With out prompting he said he keeps an OEM one in stock, he said he had a lot of problems with the china ones coming back (as in unhappy customers). they are $112 online . 30 years ago I worked on a lot of harleys, I did a lot of generator work, china regulators and amarutes were a third of the price of Excel (US made) after the third time replacing my own parts I went for the Excel parts, never had to change them again. That was 30 years ago, a lot has changed.

PS: Thank you so much Rick for your videos. As soon as I realized it was not just a bad connection or solenoid, I thought to myself Rick has a video on starters I am going to watch when I get back to the house.

Lyndo
United States of America

Post by Lyndo » Thu Nov 21, 2019 2:57 pm

the differences as far as looks go in the above links. Is mine looks like the ford one in the pics. 2 hot wires going to the fields in stead of one wire.

Lyndo
United States of America

Post by Lyndo » Thu Nov 21, 2019 6:01 pm

I got it!! the brushes were a bit sticky. I took it apart and cleaned the brushes and holders. Also cleaned everything else while I was there, lubed the places that needed it. Reassembled it tested it and it worked!!