10/60 Hydraulic pump gear engagement

A place for general Nuffield questions and chat
Aussiemachinist07
Australia

10/60 Hydraulic pump gear engagement

Post by Aussiemachinist07 » Sat Nov 23, 2019 9:30 am

On a 10/60 should the drive gear for the pump be completely out of mesh with the gear on the drive tube when the PTO lever is in the neutral position? I have just fitted a pump from a 4DM and the gears stay in mesh by 2-3mm when the drive tube is all the way back. will this be ok or do i need to machine some material off the face of the gear?

diggerdeano
Great Britain

Re: 10/60 Hydraulic pump gear engagement

Post by diggerdeano » Tue Nov 26, 2019 7:35 pm

hi your tractor should have out, hyd, PTO on the lever gate so it shouldnt have any drive to the pump when in the out position.2-3 mm of mesh on the gears wont do them much good even if you dont use the hyds i would suspect the drag off the pump will be enough to cause them to wear quite quick just pumping oil around the system will require a couple of horse power and that power being tranmitted through 2-3 mm contact area aint gonna last

Rick Cobley
Great Britain

Re: 10/60 Hydraulic pump gear engagement

Post by Rick Cobley » Tue Nov 26, 2019 9:07 pm

Hi, By the time you have moved the drive tube back that far it will have disconnected the drive from the pto stub on the rear of the gearbox and everything will be stationary so it wont damage the gears that are just meshed.

If the pump drive was to completely un-mesh and the drive tube then rotate slightly there would be no way that you would ever get them to mesh again as you have no way of rotating the drive tube!

Regards Rick Cobley