10/60 Oil Strainer .

A place for general Nuffield questions and chat
Rob oxley
Great Britain

10/60 Oil Strainer .

Post by Rob oxley » Tue Jan 07, 2020 8:52 pm

Hi all ,
My Dads decided to give our 1060 a long overdue oil change , we've had the tractor for a couple of years and just run it as is giving it an occasional top up .
To our horror when he removed the filter the element was solid and just sitting in the bottom doing nothing at all .
The oil was incredibly thin which we think we can attribute to a faulty lift pump which we have since replaced .
So as has been suggested on here before we have taken the sump off only to find the strainer has become detached and appears to have come into contact with the crank at some point .
So question is does anyone sell a pickup pipe for them anymore or is it a case of trying to find a good used one ?.
Cheers Rob .

Rick Cobley
Great Britain

Re: 10/60 Oil Strainer .

Post by Rick Cobley » Tue Jan 07, 2020 10:52 pm

Hi The oil strainer often brakes and was subject to a modification during production. I would try Charnleys or TSP for one but you will probably end up creating something yourself, and make sure it is fully submerged whatever you fit! Compare the top of the strainer with the low mark on the dipstick.

When you refit the sump, remember card gasket for alloy sump and cork gasket for steel sump.

Regards Rick Cobley

Rob oxley
Great Britain

Post by Rob oxley » Tue Jan 07, 2020 11:32 pm

Hi Rick thanks for the reply , I'll have a phone around but failing that we will mackle something up .
Thanks also for the info on the different gaskets .
Cheers Rob .

ploughman

Post by ploughman » Tue Jan 07, 2020 11:39 pm

Did you make sure you had all the parts for the oil filter, it sounds as if the spring and plate were missing.

Rick Cobley
Great Britain

Post by Rick Cobley » Wed Jan 08, 2020 6:19 am

Hi, In addition to Harry's comment here is a picture of what should be in the filter housing

viewtopic.php?f=24&t=47

Regards Rick Cobley

Rob oxley
Great Britain

Post by Rob oxley » Wed Jan 08, 2020 7:03 am

Hi Ploughman / Rick ,
I'll have a look and check the parts but at first glance it seems that the wrong length/ type of element has been used along with an asortment of metal packers on top of it .
Cheers Rob .