4DM clutch adjustment?

A place for general Nuffield questions and chat
bailey250190
Great Britain

4DM clutch adjustment?

Post by bailey250190 » Wed Feb 12, 2020 9:42 pm

The problem I've got is when changing gears whilst the tractor is moving it grinds into gear as if the clutch isn't fully disengaging? It pulls weight, climbs hills etc fine and I was told it had a new clutch when the engine was changed 2 years ago so I'm presuming it just needs adjusting up?
I've had a read of the workshop manual and it says adjusting of the clutch isn't possible from the outside and once set it shouldn't need adjusting?
I thaught it would just of been a case of moving the pedal a spline or two

Thanks in advance

Freggel
Belgium

Re: 4DM clutch adjustment?

Post by Freggel » Wed Feb 12, 2020 11:56 pm

Hi, welcome to the club.
Did you just buy the tractor or have you had it for a while and it just started having this symptom?

You do realize that the gearboxes on these tractors aren't synchronized and you have to match the rpms to get it in gear while driving? It takes a bit of practice and certainly isn't easy without a foot throttle (although mine shifts smoother than a few Deutz oldies I have driven)
1957 Universal Four 4DM
If it ain't broke, fix it until it is!

bailey250190
Great Britain

Post by bailey250190 » Thu Feb 13, 2020 12:14 pm

Ive recently got it but it was my uncles before mine and it's always been the same.
I'm thinking what your saying is probably the cause as all the other older tractors I've owned I've been able to set off in top gear but this one will but doesn't like it

mike.l
Canada

Post by mike.l » Thu Feb 13, 2020 7:08 pm

Hi adjusting the clutch on these old tractors is very simple 1" of free play at the end of the pedal. if that has to be changed take small side plate off and unlock the adjuster. and adjust the length until it is at correct pedal free play. there is also a hole in the rod to put a small bar in to move it. all very easy to see and do with the plate off do not forget to lock the adjuster as it will move as i well know. mike