North American paint experience

A place for general Nuffield questions and chat
grahamg
Canada

North American paint experience

Post by grahamg » Mon Feb 24, 2020 6:47 pm

Wondering if someone has gone through locating a matching poppy orange paint from a North American supplier and would like to share? I'm a distance from the major cities and any computerized matching. I've brought the paint codes from the FAQ to the local suppliers but not had much luck. Is there something I can request or maybe a paint code derived from a match? Thanks!

mike.l
Canada

Re: North American paint experience

Post by mike.l » Tue Feb 25, 2020 1:16 pm

Hi I think i have a mix code for industrial paint that i used to paint my tractors will look later today and post it. mike

mike.l
Canada

Post by mike.l » Tue Feb 25, 2020 11:39 pm

Let me try to download the pictures

mike.l
Canada

Post by mike.l » Wed Feb 26, 2020 12:02 am

and this is the results of the paint

grahamg
Canada

Post by grahamg » Wed Feb 26, 2020 3:42 am

Looks great! Thank you for the photos. I'll try to have that recreated.

TheCounty
Canada

Post by TheCounty » Wed Feb 26, 2020 3:37 pm

As a touch-up paint for my 1968 4/65, I have found "Duplicolor Chevrolet Orange-Red" Engine enamel ( #DE1607 ) to be very close to what is on my tractor. Matching out of sight areas such as under the dash bezel etc.
This has a more orange hue as shown in the hood pic banner at the top of this Nuffield forum.
Don't quote me but I believe this to be an engine colour paint match for some early 1970's Chev engines.
It is available in spray can size at Canadian Tire for a cheap test and or touch-up.
Any paint shop should be able to cross reference this for you.
Best of luck
(ps don't confuse with #DE1620 which is "Chev Orange" )

mike.l
Canada

Post by mike.l » Thu Feb 27, 2020 12:52 pm

Hi Yes i have found the chevy orange spray can's a reasonable match but did not mention it as some of the spray can's are off colour and its not something that you can trust. Mike

grahamg
Canada

Post by grahamg » Fri Feb 28, 2020 5:03 am

I wondered about the photo on this site when I was searching for what colour my tractor should be. If I can't get the paint matched then Chevrolet orange-red it is. It looks okay in the photo. I'll do better than my Leylands which have turned Tremclad dark blue but it won't be too authentic since I already have more black bits. That's all I have to work with as I've been cleaning up pulleys and filter housings. I think I'll put a black oxide finish on the fasteners since I seem to be into my Leyland's often and don't want to be chipping painted over bolts. I do intend to work the tractor, if only lightly.

Jeroen Sleijpen
Tractor God
Netherlands

Post by Jeroen Sleijpen » Fri Feb 28, 2020 1:50 pm

A member of our Facebook group, Joe Dobson, used RAL 3020 on his tractor as shown on the picture.

Regards,

Jeroen
Leyland, Nuffield, BMC message board Facebook group:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/leylandnuffield/

Nuffield 10/60
Nuffield 10/42
Nuffield 342
Nuffield Universal 3

grahamg
Canada

Post by grahamg » Mon Mar 23, 2020 11:10 pm

I've decided to go with a Traffic Red. It's a single stage paint from NAPA, Nason Ful-Thane. N0095 is their version of RAL 3020 and it's supposedly a close match.

Here's a comparison of the Nason paint on the left, the original, and Duplicolor Chevrolet Orange-Red on the right.