Splitting leyland 245/perkins 3cyl

A place for general Leyland tractor questions and chat
Alasdair
Great Britain

Splitting leyland 245/perkins 3cyl

Post by Alasdair » Sat Mar 14, 2020 1:45 pm

Hi there.
Need to replace I think crank seal at rear of engine due to increasing oil leak. Quick question, when splitting tractor do I split at front or rear of bell housing? I assume front like most vehicles but never done a tractor before. Also anyone know roughly how heavy front end will be? Plan to jack up rear and roll front on jacks etc. Any tips or advice welcome
Alasdair

mike.l
Canada

Re: Splitting leyland 245/perkins 3cyl

Post by mike.l » Sat Mar 14, 2020 5:54 pm

Hi No idea of weight but i know one thing you must do is block the front axle from pivoting, or it will roll over and try to bite you. and i always put the trolley jack in from the front of the tractor so i can pull it away in a straight line and push it back same way good luck. mike

Jazo
New Zealand

Post by Jazo » Sun Mar 15, 2020 5:25 am

Hi, is probably around 200 to 300kg. And wedge axle as mike has advised
3/45 with faster reductions and turbo

Alasdair
Great Britain

Post by Alasdair » Sun Mar 15, 2020 8:32 am

Many thanks for the info re front axle. Didn't think about that but makes perfect sense. Going to have to do it myself so thinking about fabricating rails and a trolley to make it safer.
Alasdair

Bill Edwards

Post by Bill Edwards » Sun Mar 15, 2020 9:06 am

A decent trolley jack is all I ever use, and a small tractor like this isn't going to be hard. Bottle jack underneath the gearbox.

It's worth getting the floor swept and putting some oil on the wheels so it runs easily, and just make sure both jacks can't slip.
A wooden wedge on each side of the front axle hammered in tight, then it's a simple matter of looking at everything that has to come off.

ploughman

Post by ploughman » Sun Mar 15, 2020 10:56 am

Well, I am not going to be popular I think!I always put the static support under the engine, this stops the lot tipping over and takes the front wheel problem away. The rolling supports goes under the gear box, then with the diff lock engaged, the back half moves away, (and back) in a dead straight line and you have the rear wheels to turn which cuts the effort needed to start the lot moving.
Regards,
Harry

Alasdair
Great Britain

Post by Alasdair » Sun Mar 15, 2020 11:32 am

Thanks for the replies. I plan to do it outside on a concrete level area and will see how I get on. I have a couple of trolley jacks but there pretty ancient so may invest in a new larger one for stability. Had a look today and it doesn't look as if I have to remove much as the tractor is pretty basic. Going to wait for the weather to improve as its a bit wet and changeable at the moment. Reckon I will give the old tractor a full service and oil/fluid change while I am at it. Picked up filters etc a while ago on ebay so will only need oil ,seals and perhaps a clutch depending how worn or contaminated with oil it is.
Many thanks again
Alasdair

Bill Edwards

Post by Bill Edwards » Sun Mar 15, 2020 8:42 pm

ploughman wrote:
Sun Mar 15, 2020 10:56 am
Well, I am not going to be popular I think!I always put the static support under the engine, this stops the lot tipping over and takes the front wheel problem away. The rolling supports goes under the gear box, then with the diff lock engaged, the back half moves away, (and back) in a dead straight line and you have the rear wheels to turn which cuts the effort needed to start the lot moving.
Regards,
Harry
No we all have different methods which work for us and there's nothing wrong with that.
I'd think that to be safe supporting the front half you'd want something fairly wide to stop it tilting? To me it was a two minute job to chop a piece of wood up into a pair of wedges which always serve me well and come in for other jobs too, takes no time to put them in position.
I can see your sense in wheeling the back half away being easier with big tyres, but normally when I split a tractor it's 4WD so you have decent tyres at the front. Diff locks on most of the ones I do are either hydraulic or pneumatically engaged so difficult or impossible to use without the engine running.
I can see your method working well for smaller, 2WD machines such as most of the ones discussed on here.

ploughman

Post by ploughman » Sun Mar 15, 2020 9:20 pm

Hi Bill,
I only have had to "play " with the smaller toys, your quite right. I dont like the wooden wedge idea though, saw one split and let the lot go on a job some years ago, let the lot slump and that moved the front wheels, lots of damage when it all hit the concrete! I made my own splitting rail and carriage much safer than a narrow trolly jack.
H

Bill Edwards

Post by Bill Edwards » Mon Mar 16, 2020 9:34 pm

ploughman wrote:
Sun Mar 15, 2020 9:20 pm
Hi Bill,
I only have had to "play " with the smaller toys, your quite right. I dont like the wooden wedge idea though, saw one split and let the lot go on a job some years ago, let the lot slump and that moved the front wheels, lots of damage when it all hit the concrete! I made my own splitting rail and carriage much safer than a narrow trolly jack.
H
That wedge splitting sounds nasty.

I've just found out that I will be splitting a 270 horsepower Case weighing in at 10 tons or more. That's going to be interesting!

I have already decided that I'll have no option but to make a splitting rail as the trolley jacks I have available just won't be up to the job. I'm not looking forward to having to push the thing apart and back together, it's going to be a seriously heavy lump. Loads of front weights on it as well.