465 power steering

A place for general Nuffield questions and chat
old tom,s 465

465 power steering

Post by old tom,s 465 » Thu Mar 19, 2020 10:01 am

I picked up another 465 over the winter and although the power steering was very light and worked well there was some play in the parts, on inspection I could see the bush on the top arm (what the drag links fits onto) was badly worn and the valve adjusting pin was missing its locknut, I have replaced the bush and the valve adjusting pin was replaced with a new one as some of the threads were damaged, but...after reassembly I now find the steering is quite heavy, the power steering assembly was not touched, the two way adjusting link was removed by sliding out the pin in the top arm,
When I replaced the valve adjusting pin I set it up as per the manual, but I had also measured the distance from the top of the valve adjusting pin to the top of the top arm and it measured 26mm, this measurement is very simliar to the measurement I have now by setting it up as per the manual, all comments will I trust be helpful

TOM

jxt737
Canada

Re: 465 power steering

Post by jxt737 » Thu Mar 19, 2020 12:29 pm

My 465 has very heavy steering/ little help from power assist I find!
I had replaced two bushes and tried to tighten things up in that area. I did not touch the power steering either.
If someone has ideas I am interested as well!

Nowtnew
Great Britain

Post by Nowtnew » Thu Mar 19, 2020 6:20 pm

Hi Old Tom

Is there a difference between the degree of assistance one way compared with the other?
The adjustable valve pushrod has to be set correctly to achieve balance and it may have been upset by the new components.
Otherwise, it may be that your original valve adjusting pin was set to give more 'slop' than the official spec.
While this would help the servo effect it means the steering would be a bit wayward.

This system is very sensitive to any unwanted lost motion. For instance, the pins at each end of the adjustable link must be good fits.

Regards

old tom,s 465

Post by old tom,s 465 » Fri Mar 20, 2020 11:14 am

The adjusting valve for right/left assist was not compromised at all, the steering is quite heavy in both directions through all movement of the steering wheel, as I said when I removed the valve adjusting pin I made a measurement and the manual spec of three turns is quite different to the original measurement although it is only a couple of mms it equates to roughly three and a half turns which is double the spec figure! I have reset the new pin at the same height as the original (26mm) and I will give it a go when I can, it may be a few days yet as when I tried the steering early in the week I really chewed up my paddock as it is still waterlogged!,
one major problem with workshop manuals is specific settings, they are helpful when dismantling but the spec figures relate to everything being as new or in perfect condition and when doing repairs or restoration age and wear on all the related parts should be taken into account but in my case I didn't think it would be such as difference, (I hope)
I still don't understand how the valve pushrods go through the same travel, the power steering pump is pumping oil (I removed the return pipe to the pump with wheels to the right and the oil spurts six foot across the floor!) I cannot find anything online to explain how the system is activated, what has to move differently or how has things to move differently

I will give an update as soon as I can

TOM

kjblakey
Australia

Post by kjblakey » Fri Mar 20, 2020 11:30 am

Hi everyone,
Nowtnew is correct in saying the push rod needs to be adjusted correctly as this will cause the power steering to be hard or have an “inbalance”. My power steering was very hard at idle/going slow so I fiddled around with the turn buckle and it needs to be perfectly even, as when I was fiddling I wound it in too much and it was very hard to turn to the left. Make sure there is absolutely no slack in the turn buckle and the pin in the hole of the draglink arm or the stud going through the cranked arm as well as that will make it harder to turn both ways as I found out too. All of this improved my steering a little but I am interested to hear what else people say as it is still a bit hard to turn.
Kyle

old tom,s 465

Post by old tom,s 465 » Sun Mar 22, 2020 5:14 pm

when adjusting the turnbuckle can anyone remember which direction for right or left, ie if the steering is easy when turning left which direction is the turnbuckle rotated to enable power assist to a right turn of the steering wheel?

TOM

Nowtnew
Great Britain

Post by Nowtnew » Sun Mar 22, 2020 5:48 pm

The correct procedure is to set the length of the turnbuckle link such that it fits easily in the 'at rest ' position. This ensures that the assistance is equalised for both directions.

Regards