465 loosing water in radiator when not even running

A place for general Nuffield questions and chat
kjblakey
Australia

465 loosing water in radiator when not even running

Post by kjblakey » Fri Mar 20, 2020 12:09 pm

Hi everyone,
I have another question to ask because all of you were pretty helpful on my last topic. The other day I topped up my Nuffield 465 with water in the radiator ready for the next time I use it, but a few days later after checking over everything I found the radiator to be bone dry.

It has never lost water out the radiator while not running previously. My dad and I redid the water system before this happened with all new hoses, new gaskets, a new thermostat (as there was none previously) and cleaned the water pump, pump housing and thermostat housing out. After putting in about 2 and a half 5 litre buckets worth of water into the cooling system it was full. I have had no problems except for the slight top up after running it until now. By the way there are no leaks visible either.

Does anyone know what is happening? Maybe it’s a liner problem? But then there is no water in the sump. I know liner problems are common on 465’s. As a teenager I really want to learn more about this stuff please.
Many thanks

Bill Edwards

Re: 465 loosing water in radiator when not even running

Post by Bill Edwards » Sat Mar 21, 2020 8:48 pm

Really it's just a matter of looking everywhere for the leak. Could be the radiator itself, a drain tap, pipe, loose jubilee clip, core plug etc and yes liner problems could allow water inside the engine.
If it does end up in the sump then bear in mind that oil floats, so the water settles to the bottom of the sump making the oil level higher, then when you run the engine it gets mixed up into a big mess. If you have reason to think there is water in the sump it's possible to remove the drain plug a little and see if water comes out before the oil, then screw it back in before losing all the oil out.

Pressurising the cooling system with a pressure tester designed for this is the easiest way as it makes the leak far worse and you just follow the drips. When they aren't available you can run the engine for a while to let it warm up to get a little pressure in the system then stop it (for safety, you don't want to be anywhere near the fan when it's running) to make a leak more obvious.

Sometimes you'll see a trail of dried antifreeze (or rust on neglected tractors) when it's a small leak.
If you radiator is getting emptied over a few days it shouldn't be too hard to find this leak.

kjblakey
Australia

Re: 465 loosing water in radiator when not even running

Post by kjblakey » Sun Mar 22, 2020 7:45 am

Hi Bill,
I drove the 465 today and she did just fine. While it was running I had a look for any leaks and there is none while running either. I will try out the pressure tester as that sounds like a good idea. This tractor sat out in the weather for 6 years before I got it a few months ago. It was bone dry and had that white crud you find in radiators that have sat out for long periods when I got it. I changed the engine oil not long ago from now. It has turned black very quickly too, which is normal, but it has stayed at the same level as when I put the new stuff in. I will undo the sump plug though and have a look. Believe me I am well aware of what water before oil looks like when it is draining, as I had that happen when I changed the gearbox oil.
Many thanks, Kyle